Monday, April 27, 2009

More About Music at School

As a continuation of my last post, I'm going to talk a little more about the kinda stuff most of the kids at my school play for themselves.

In 3rd period, Auto Maintenance, I had an assignment that required the computer. So I went and grabbed a mouse out of the classroom closet and plugged it in, then turned it on.

Just as I was doing this, another student came up and sat down at the computer next to mine. Students usually have free access to music and stuff in Mr. Miller's class (I never do this), so the guy just turned on his playlist. Boy, was I in for a time...

I used to think I was sorta taking someone else's opinion on the music the other guys (most of, remember Rick Astley?) listen to at school, and that it might have been unfair to judge right away. But this music changed my mind. That music was probably the stupidest, most idiotic junk I've heard in my entire life.

One song, basically, starts with another guy announcing "The Joker" (apparently the guy rapping) and how he got "da lyrics" and "you betta lissen to it". Then we get to hear his so-called lyrics, which go on about the usual: girls, violence, and so on.

Strangely enough, at the beginning of another song, the rapper announced: "Now I don't want this to offend nobody, so if you are easily offended, you might wanna turn this off" (wise words). Then he says: "Now that we got rid of that nonsense, let's...".

(People actually listen to this???)

Now when it comes to Mr. Miller, he goes two ways: one, when we're doing a "shop" assignment, he actually helps and gives us demonstrations and everything. But when we're doing a bookwork assignment, he sits back and let's us use the computers.

I don't see this as a totally bad thing; I just wish he would block off the music sites first...

That's all I have for today...

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain, Andrew. I DO NOT understand how rap has become so huge. It's become it's own industry, for heavens sake. You would think that the fact that every two weeks a new rapper suddenly becomes famous, would open people's eyes a bit. There may be a lot of new singers these days as well, but at least most of them have a talent. They can sing. That's what I don't get about rap. Anyone can talk in STUPID rhyme. It. Takes. NO. Skill!
    I keep hoping it will die out but it's been around for at least 25 years and instead of fading away, it just becomes more insidious and ubiquitous, EVERY year. Take comfort Andy in knowing that not everyone in the 16 to 25 demographic likes rap. The ones that do are so obnoxious about it they just make it seem that way.

    ReplyDelete