Thursday, April 30, 2009

Awesome Youth Activity...



Last night we had our wednesday night church youth activity. But this time it was a tri-ward (three wards participating) activity, and the theme was Willy Wonka (cue annoying theme song used for 2005 remake, starring Johnny Depp: "Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka...").




I wasn't really expecting to do anything that night except eat the desserts everyone brought. The night started off with "Violet's Bubble-blowing contest"...











...which I couldn't participate in for three reasons: 1. I can't chew gum unless it's sugarfree, which "Hubba Bubba" was not; 2. My teeth were too sore from the new wire I got earlier yesterday; and 3. I can't blow bubbles.







Next up was "Augustus Gloop's Pudding-Pie-Eating Contest"...






... which I wasn't going to do originally because I'm not up for eating with no hands. But I thought about the memories it would make, so I sucked it up and did it anyway. I got dead last, but I didn't care... besides, there was an extra "pie", so I got to grab a spoon and eat that, too.




Next up, the classic "egg-carrying" race...




... only it was a chocolate "Wonka" egg. I made it across the room without dropping it, and our team won. So, another success.


Finally, the "OOMPA-LOOMPA DANCE OFF"!!!


(sorry to those who would've probably liked the classic "green-and-orange" ones more, I'm just keeping a theme going here with the remake...)
All 6 teams participated in one way or another: either solo, duet, or the whole group together. The team I was on (#3) sent me out solo, and I did a completely improvised breakdance, including spinning around on the floor, getting up on one hand, doing the macarena at light speed (never saw that one coming, huh?), and... losing my shoe.
Oh, and on top of all that, I got up on stage and told the following joke (take this as a "Thursday Funny"):
A guy walks into a bar and sees some blonde guys sitting around a table with a puzzle in front of them, and they're all shouting "6 WEEKS! 6 WEEKS!" to each other. The guy wonders what they're up to, so he asks the bartender, who says he's not sure either.
So the guy goes up to them and says, "Hey, guys, what's going on here?". One of the guys pipes up and says, "Well, you see, we finished this puzzle in 6 WEEKS, and the box said "5 to 7 years"!.
Believe me, it took everyone else a second too, but I think they all laughed when it hit them.
So, what I expected to be just another activity ended up being the best fun I've had at a church activity for a while.
TAFN (that's all for now).

4 comments:

  1. Andrew I'm so happy for you. There's nothing better than being the LIFE of the party!
    I love you kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. Maybe I will borrow some of those ideas for our youth group. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya know, I think I forgot to ask a very important question...

    WHAT FLAVOR PUDDING WAS IT??

    ReplyDelete