Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sunday Movie-Going

This last Sunday, I went with my Mom to see the new PIXAR flick, "Up".



I have been loving these PIXAR movies since I saw Toy Story at the age of... gee, I don't remember, and after watching WALL-E for the second time (on our Netflix Instant Queue, comes with TiVO), and actually enjoying it even more than the first watch, I was fired up for this new one...

Well, I wasn't disappointed.

BUT, this movie is just a bit different than the trailers and commercials have been suggesting. It's actually a darker movie than other PIXAR offerings, and has a very sad backstory that deals with the loss of a loved one (my Mom was crying during the prologue, I didn't cry, but I usually never cry at movies anyway). Also, it was a little predictable, as probably halfway through, I knew where the story was going...

That said, all of the characters (except for the villain who I'm not going to give away) were very funny, particularly Dug the talking dog- SQUIRREL!-, and the movie was definitely somewhat out of left-field (as you may expect from a movie about an old man tying thousands of balloons to his house to fly it like an airship).

So, it's highly recommended from me, just keep in mind that if you don't know what the backstory is, or if you cry at movies, bring some tissues along...

Andrew Brinkerhoff, going "up" to bed, for it is late, and I am tired- SQUIRREL!- and I'm out of school on Thursday! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

3 comments:

  1. I've seen it twice now and I really loved it both times. I came close to crying BOTH times. I didn't really find it dark at all, just a little more mature than some of their other films. Although, to date, in my opinion, "Ratatouille" has been their darkest picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen it yet... But I REALLY want to!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Mitch, Miranda and I will have to see it now that school is out. Thanks for the tip, I will bring tissue.

    ReplyDelete