Tuesday, August 3, 2010

IB English or IB World Literature?

Near the end of the school year, one of the IB teachers at my school came in to my 5th period class and asked if any of us were interested in doing IB next year. I said I wanted to do IB English for my senior year, so I got the summer reading assignment all seniors are supposed to have turned in by the beginning of the next school year ('10-'11).

We have to read "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain and prepare a text response journal in which we discuss one passage for each chapter, possibly in light of the complete story, as well as prepare an oral presentation analyzing a passage.

I've finished the book finally, and had to email Ms. Edwards (my IB English teacher for next year), over a week ago, to ask about some things that confused me, like what it meant that I needed a "signed receipt" to signify my agreement to complete the assignment, and whether that College Admissions Essay was also required. She responded just last night, saying no receipt was needed and that all I needed was to have the assigned notes in my journal, though she said nothing about the College essay, so I replied back about that, and have yet to get another reply (chances are she's on vacation with her family so I may not be able to get a hold of her again).

If I don't finish the assignment by the beginning of the next school year, I will either be transferred into the standard IB World Literature class, or, if I stay in IB English, the highest grade I can get for first semester is a "C" grade.

So I'm debating whether I'm sure about going through with IB English or not. I guess that if it's really difficult for me I could just transfer into IB World Literature early in the year, but I don't know. IB English looks kinda intense, too.

Well, for now I'll have to just keep thinking about it....

Andrew Brinkerhoff, out.

No comments:

Post a Comment