Thursday, November 12, 2009

Seminary Surprise, Part II, and Shakespeare Fest

Hello again, readers!

Well, to start, getting up at 5:30 AM yesterday morning and having Dad drive me to seminary turned out to be a total waste of time. There really was nothing there at the door when we pulled up to the front (which is what I was half-expecting, but I was still a bit disappointed). Bro. Dyer didn't even ask this morning who got up early for those make-up days and who didn't. Dad had to be up early anyways, so I didn't get him up early for no reason, but still, waste of time.

Okay, enough negativity, let's move on to Part 2 of this blog post:

I got out of 2nd period this morning (U.S. History, so I wasn't too broken up about it) to see two guys from the "Oregon Shakespeare Festival" do a presentation for us.

Now the only Shakespeare I've read in my life was "Julius Caesar" last year in Sophomore English, and it was ridiculously boring, so I wasn't sure I'd like this presentatation. But these two guys were really animated and funny, so that got my hopes up.

The presentation was just them acting out bits from some of Shakespeare's plays, starting with "The Comedy of Errors", which was actually a riot! Then one of the guys put "dog ears" on his head, and the other guy went on about the dog and what he's done wrong and right (I had some difficulty understanding everything he said, but the visuals were still fun).

Then we got to "Henry VI" and "Hamlet", which is where things slowed down a bit and I tried to catch all the dialogue, but didn't quite get all of it. However, I got to ask the two guys a couple of questions before they dismissed us: "How many 'Henry' plays were there?" and "What exactly is the OSF?". I learned there were 3 plays Shakespeare wrote that began with "Henry", and that the OSF ran on an interesting schedule: for 6 months they performed many of Shakespeare's plays (these were just two people out of the 300 or so that are part of the OSF), and then they went out "on tour" for a couple of weeks, then got back to performing.

I don't know if what I just said was completely accurate, and if you're interested in learning more, I just looked up the website, found here.

That's all for now. Andrew Brinkerhoff, OUT.

P.S.: Added later!:

I forgot to mention that during lunch today, there was this pull-up bar that anyone could try out as long as they filled out a form showing their address, age, whether they wanted to join the military (the people running the table were from the Marines), etc.

Anyone who got up to 20 pull-ups or above got a free Marines sweatshirt. A couple of guys who went before me got to 20, but when I tried, I got 6.

Well, at least I tried it.

Okay, that's REALLY all for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment